Click to vote for my blog!

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Teaching My Learning Disabled Son

Brynnon is almost 10 years old, very active and has a few "behavior issues" which we deal with on a daily basis. Brynnon received two years of Speech Therapy starting at age 5 before he could communicate effectively with non-members of the family. I worked with Brynnon independently as part of our home school program to finish up his speech, using phonics in hopes to encourage Reading. It was evident quickly that something was very wrong as he still could not read any book besides his Merrill Linguistic Readers we were working in. His handwriting suggested Dyslexia, being backwards and very disorganized. I continued struggling to find ways to teach Brynnon, who could take things apart with great passion, yet could not decode a word no matter what I tried. We went through 2 phonics programs and purchased so many "programs" that did not do anything but frustrate us both! Finally, at the beginning of this year in frustration I brought Brynnon to an Educational Psychologist who did an IQ exam. I was shocked to learn that his IQ is not normal, but rather borderline mildly retarded. For the past several months I have done so much research, only to find that there is no middle ground. He is simply not intellectually capable enough to be diagnosed with many Learning Disorders such as Dyslexia, yet he is also not intellectually low enough to qualify for help for "retarded people." I hit so many roadblocks when trying to find answers to a simple enough question... How exactly do you REACH and TEACH a borderline mildly, let's put it politically correct here, Intellectually Disabled child? So, with all the internet at my fingertips and the several books I have been reading, I will tell you the answers that no one seemed able to give me. As there is not information available for that borderline shady area, I proceeded with caution to the down side, there I found my Son and am learning the process of finally REACHING him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading about our world! We are always happy to hear from you!